Friday, September 19, 2008

Bed Time Stories

Nate's sister, Kristel, is an elementary school teacher. When she came to the hospital to visit us, she gave us a few really cute children's books and told me that it was great if I read to Kayley but then she really encouraged Nathan to read to her as much as possible. She said that just recently she learned that research shows that when dads get involved and read to their children, their sons' and daughters' achievement is enhanced. Even though Nate is super busy with going to work and school full time, he tries to read to Kayley at least every other night.

I googled "Dads reading to their children" and found this article which I thought was kind of interesting.

"...Dads reading stories to their children is a bonding moment. The physical closeness of story time and the cuddling are going to bring you closer to your kids. You will end up tickling them more often. You will end up hugging them more often. You will stroke their hair more often. That’s called bonding and your kids will love you for it. I read an article a while back about one of the important roles that dads teach their children. Dads are the one who normally wrestle with the kids and tickle them until they beg for mercy and toss them in the air. Dads get kids riled up. When the playtime is over, dads show their kids how to calm back down. Ask any kindergarten teacher how important and how difficult of a lesson this is to teach to a young boy or girl. Reading is a very sedentary, calm event. If the guy that just had them giggling and gasping for breath can now sit still with a book on his lap, your kids are going to learn how to do that, also."


I love how she is looking right up at him in both of these pictures. She seems so attentive!
He is reading "I love you stinky face" to her in this picture. I know, I thought the same thing when I first read the title, but it's actually a super cute book with a good message.
I don't look that great in these pictures but I'm always the one pulling out the camera taking pictures and so I'm never in any of them. My dad is in hardly any of the pictures from when we were growing up and so I'm trying to be better about having Nate, or other people, take pictures with me in them.


7 comments:

  1. What a great post! I totally agree with Nate's sister. Richard reads to Natalie every night and she absolutely loves it. Her first word was even "Dada!" Such a daddy's girl. We also have "I Love You Stinky Face." It's a really cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And all this time...we never even knew that Nate could read! j/k! Good job Nate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your so good at marking each little event that goes on. Im sure you do, but I don't keep a journal so this will totally be cool for you to look back on. Your such a cute mom, and I loved babysitting yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute Ashley! I love that he reads to her at night...absolutely precious! She's adorable. I'm pretty sure I need to meet her in person...so lets plan a time to get together!! My blog is travisandkarlee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. how cute Ash!! I love that he reads to her! I am also glad you documented it! Also Im glad YOU"RE in pictures too! Love ya !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh please! You look fabulous! I can't believe how quickly you are losing your baby weight. Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ash! Congratulations! She looks so cute :) I'm excited you have a girl! Did you know I'm having a girl in February? I love your blog too. It's cool to see how much your family has grown! Wow, aren't big families the best!

    ReplyDelete